Worshipping the Virgin of Guadeloupe
Presenter Reverend Peter Owen-Jones joins five million Roman Catholic pilgrims on their way to worship the Virgin of Guadeloupe. He considers how this event demonstrates the impact of religion in the lives of believers, and gives some historical background to the appearance of the Virgin to an indigenous Mexican and the effect of this on the growth of Catholicism. He observes the worship service where people venerate the image of the Virgin.
Available since: Fri 9 Nov 2012
This clip is from
1/8 Pete Owen Jones travels to Australasia to find out how tribal faiths have survived.
First broadcast: 02 Jan 2009
More clips from Australasia and the Pacific Ring of Fire
More clips from Around the World in 80 Faiths
- Christian revivalism in the USA Duration: 04:25 The Far East
- Celebrating the Samaritan Passover Duration: 03:34 Africa
- Celebrating Good Friday in Jerusalem Duration: 04:45 The Far East
- Buddhist beliefs (pt 2/2) Duration: 03:43 Australasia and the Pacific Ring of Fire
- Tibetan Buddhism in Russia Duration: 03:17 Africa