What will happen when the sun dies?
Solar Physicist Dr Helen Mason appears in BBC Four programme 'Seven Ages of Starlight' which tells the epic tale of the stars through seven ages. She explains to Libby Purves what the sun was like when it was first formed and what will happen when it dies.
Photo credit: NASA - Solar Dynamics Observatory/Atmospheric Imaging Assembly
Available since: Tue 30 Oct 2012
This clip is from
Libby Purves meets former actor Fiona Fullerton and dog whisperer Cesar Millan.
First broadcast: 24 Oct 2012
More clips from Midweek
- Harry Redknapp: "The more you screamed, the more he turned the machine up" Duration: 01:30 Alexander Armstrong, Wilbur Smith, Harry Redknapp, Anna Walker
- Richard Noble: "You're convinced you're driving straight down vertically into the centre of the earth" Duration: 01:05 Emma Thompson, Richard Noble, Linda Thompson, Dr Paul Abel
- How Barry Norman scored an Oscar scoop Duration: 00:52 Alexei Sayle, Barry Norman, Jacqui Dankworth, Don Bachardy
- How Fred Astaire took up skateboarding at 70 Duration: 00:45 Ava Astaire, Michael 'Mini' Cooper, Franc Roddam, Doug Allan, Ewan Clayton
- 'Something grabbed me around the waist with its flippers' Duration: 01:22 Ava Astaire, Michael 'Mini' Cooper, Franc Roddam, Doug Allan, Ewan Clayton