Timber! Are you tough enough to be a lumberjill?
Two women, generations apart discuss their gruelling work as foresters. Eighty-seven-year-old Edna Holland joined the war effort at age seventeen as part of the Government’s Women’s Timber Core. They were nicknamed ‘lumberjills’. Seventy years on women like twenty-one-year-old Sarah Bell are still felling trees in the same area as Edna but with the aid of modern technology. Edna and Sarah spoke to Caz Graham for Woman’s Hour.
Available since: Mon 24 Sep 2012
This clip is from
'Me Tarzan, You Jane' - the Lord of the Jungle celebrates 100 years in print.
First broadcast: 21 Sep 2012
More clips from Woman's Hour
- Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders - solo after more than 35 years Duration: 10:31 Chrissie Hynde; Author Kathy Reichs
- Kate Hudson on family and forgiveness Duration: 00:52 Kate Hudson; Maternity Care; Enid Blyton; Women Against Fundamentalism
- Han-Na Chang: playing the notes is the least important thing Duration: 01:40 Nigeria; Introducing new siblings; Tom Kerridge
- Tom Kerridge Duration: 12:05 Nigeria; Introducing new siblings; Tom Kerridge
- Erica Jong Duration: 05:57