BBC Radio 3 Piano Masterclass
BBC Radio 3 Piano Masterclass: ‘Sooner or Later – the Poetry of the Piano’: David Owen Norris explores how to make melodies expressive on the piano, by changing the time.
In the film, David Owen Norris introduces the topic and works with the following performers and repertoire: Sophie Lythgoe (Mendelssohn: Rondo Capriccioso); Stephen Gearry (Chopin: Fantaisie Impromptu); Emmanuel Vass (Beethoven: 'Moonlight Sonata'); Cathy Liu (Mendelssohn: Song Without Words, Book 6, Op.67, No.5); and Elizabeth Caddy (Mendelssohn: Song Without Words, Book 1, Op.19b, No.4).
The film is presented in association with the Incorporated Society of Musicians, and forms part of the autumn 2012 Piano Season the BBC.
Available since: Mon 24 Sep 2012
This clip is from
With live music from David Owen Norris and members of Chamber Domaine.
First broadcast: 24 Sep 2012
The BBC Music editors select highlights from Radio 3 broadcasts.
More clips from David Owen Norris, Thomas Kemp, Jonathan McGovern
- David Owen Norris works with Elizabeth Caddy on Mendelssohn’s Song Without Words Duration: 05:47
- David Owen Norris works with Emmanuel Vass on Beethoven’s 'Moonlight Sonata' Duration: 04:28
- David Owen Norris works with Sophie Lythgoe on Mendelssohn’s Rondo Capriccioso Duration: 05:01
- David Owen Norris works with Stephen Gearry on Chopin’s Fantaisie Impromptu Duration: 06:20
- David Owen Norris works with Cathy Liu on Mendelssohn’s Song Without Words Duration: 05:06
More clips from In Tune
- Geomungo Factory Duration: 03:40 Geomungo Factory, London Soloists' Ensemble
- Kopelman Quartet perform Tchaikovsky Duration: 06:38 Kopelman Quartet, National Orchestra of Korea, Man of Steel
- Alexandra Dariescu plays Chopin's Raindrop Prelude Duration: 04:53 Kyle Eastwood Band, Alexandra Dariescu, The Importance of Being Earnest
- Kyle Eastwood Band play From Rio to Havana - 5 June Duration: 05:23 Kyle Eastwood Band, Alexandra Dariescu, The Importance of Being Earnest
- The Lendvai String Trio perform music from Röntgen's Trio No.7 in G major Duration: 04:45 Hay Festival 2013