The truth about air travel
James May gets to the “plane” truth about air travel.
Do you know how many fully-laden double-decker buses it takes to outweigh a single commercial aeroplane? Or how a 180mph chicken-gun helps to keep you safe? If not, then fasten your seatbelt, as things are about to get pretty bumpy.
Find out how 1cm of plexiglass prevents asphyxiation and hypothermia, how a Victorian cage keeps deadly lightning at bay, and why airline tea tastes so horrible. Now, sit back and relax!
Available since: Mon 3 Sep 2012
This clip is from
5/6 James May gives a nuts and bolts explanation of the fascinating science of engineering.
First broadcast: 10 Sep 2012
More clips from James May's Things You Need to Know
- James May examines the ways in which chemistry runs our lives Duration: 02:25 Series 2, ... about Chemistry.
- Why Do Cats Have Nine Lives? Duration: 02:44 Series 2, ...about Speed
- James May explains the evolutionary theory of hotness Duration: 03:08 Series 2, ...about Evolution
- Why Does Ice Cream Make My Head Hurt? Duration: 02:10 Series 2, ...about Brains
- Does God Play Dice? Duration: 02:33 Series 2, ...about Einstein