Mark Thomas on opera, his dad and dying
The comedian and activist Mark Thomas’s latest show Opera Figaro is inspired by his father’s love of opera. Now suffering from a degenerative illness, his dad is slipping away from the family, but Mark took a 30-strong opera to his bungalow to perform and for that moment ‘he came back to them’. Mark Thomas tells Front Row’s John Wilson about his dad and why ‘in our last moments, it’s about how we treated each other’.
Available since: Fri 3 Aug 2012
This clip is from
Mark Thomas on his father's love of opera; Bernard of Hollywood's Marilyn Monroe photos.
First broadcast: 31 Jul 2012
More clips from Front Row
- Ian Rankin: "I've cheated in this book" Duration: 02:48
- Russell Brand: 'I'm calling for huge civil disobedience' Duration: 01:12 Russell Brand; Costa Book Awards; Carrie
- 'I've reconsidered the sexual liberation component of my show' Duration: 04:36 Russell Brand; Costa Book Awards; Carrie
- Terry Jones' Cultural Exchange Duration: 08:43
- Forest Whitaker on playing The Butler Duration: 02:51 Donna Tartt; Forest Whitaker