Only independent in London mayoral race "will be back"
Former civil servant Siobhan Benita was the only independent candidate standing in this year's London mayoral race. She reveals to Jane Garvey on Woman’s Hour that her main fear was of any backlash in the press upsetting her two daughters and how she will be back in 2016, galvanised for a fresh campaign.
Available since: Wed 9 May 2012
This clip is from
Lone parenting, Siobhan Benita, and the art of exaggeration. Presented by Jane Garvey.
First broadcast: 07 May 2012
Recent highlights, interviews and special features
More clips from Woman's Hour
- Hillary Clinton: ‘I want to see a woman in the White House’ Duration: 00:43 Hillary Clinton
- Mindfulness: "A way of connecting with and seeing clearly what's happening in our life." Duration: 11:27 Kirsty Wark on misogyny; Nazneen Rahman; Mindfulness
- Rachel Kelly and the healing power of poetry Duration: 06:03 Cressida Cowell; Young Foster Carers; Battle of Orgreave
- Arianna Huffington: "We shouldn’t just compete for the top jobs we should redefine the way the world of work is functioning." Duration: 09:37 Arianna Huffington, tutoring, African fashion week
- Brené Brown: "We either learn what vulnerability is and how we lean into it or we spend our lives running from it." Duration: 07:44 Sigrid Rausing, Brene Brown