A History of the World in 100 Objects - Miniature of a Mughal Prince (2010)
Neil MacGregor explore the history of the world by looking at the co-existence of faiths - peaceful or otherwise - across the globe around 400 years ago. Today he is in one of the great Islamic empires of the 16th and 17th centuries - in Mughal India. He tells the story of the Mughal rulers and their relationship with Hindu India through a miniature painting (dated around 1610) that shows an encounter between a noble man and a holy man. Neil describes an early mood of religious tolerance and the development of this exquisite art form. Asok Kumar Das discusses the function of miniature painting in India and the historian Aman Nath reflects on encounters between holy men and men of political power throughout Indian history.
Available since: Thu 19 Jan 2012
This clip is from
Will Gompertz examines objects in the Royal Collection that define the British monarchy.
More clips from The Art of Monarchy
- The Art of Monarchy - the first royal tours Duration: 02:40 Empire and Commonwealth
- We Elizabethans - The Importance of Marriage (2003) Duration: 02:52
- Charles II - Politics (1985) Duration: 03:37
- Sixty Years in Sixty Minutes - Prince Charles and Lady Diana's Wedding (1986) Duration: 01:20
- A Day of Celebration - Crowds at the Queen's Silver Jubilee (1977) Duration: 03:31