Profile - Prince William (2011)
The royal wedding this year will bring Prince William back to Westminster Abbey, the place where he first attracted global attention as the son mourning his mother's tragic death. Since then he has had to negotiate his relations with the Spencer and Windsor families, and follow the carefully constructed training of the man likely to be king. His time as a student, professional and military careers have all been steps on this path. So how difficult an inheritance has this been? And what does the preparation of William the young prince tell us about plans for the future role and image of the monarchy? In this week's Profile, Chris Bowlby considers the mix of family duty, personal choice and careful PR that has gone into the making of Prince William. First broadcast in 2011.
Available since: Thu 19 Jan 2012
This clip is from
Will Gompertz examines objects in the Royal Collection that define the British monarchy.
More clips from The Art of Monarchy
- The Art of Monarchy - the first royal tours Duration: 02:40 Empire and Commonwealth
- We Elizabethans - The Importance of Marriage (2003) Duration: 02:52
- Charles II - Politics (1985) Duration: 03:37
- Sixty Years in Sixty Minutes - Prince Charles and Lady Diana's Wedding (1986) Duration: 01:20
- A Day of Celebration - Crowds at the Queen's Silver Jubilee (1977) Duration: 03:31