Nikola Tesla’s Electrical Demonstration
Professor Jim Al-Khalili demonstrates one of Nikola Tesla's most famous inventions, the Tesla Coil, using it to safely pass 3/4 of a million volts of electricity across his body. This awesome display of electrical power and wonder helped to convince a sceptical 19th Century public that electricity could be safe.
Available since: Tue 4 Oct 2011
This clip is from
2/3 How harnessing the link between magnetism and electricity transformed the world.
First broadcast: 13 Oct 2011
More clips from The Age of Invention
More clips from Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity
- Professor Jim Al-Khalili prepares to receive a quarter of a million volts of electricity! Duration: 03:23 The Age of Invention
- Dr Herbert Matare tells what happened when he discovered that he and Bell Labs had both invented the transistor Duration: 04:08 Revelations and Revolutions
- German WWII radar researcher Dr Herbert Matare tells of how he came to invent the transistor Duration: 03:18 Revelations and Revolutions
- Jim Al-Khalili demonstrates the famous 'photoelectric effect' Duration: 04:54 Revelations and Revolutions
- Jim Al-Khalili tells how Oliver Lodge came to be superseded by two of his followers Duration: 02:35 Revelations and Revolutions