The largest honey ant workers take on a very special role in the colony - repletes. They are force-fed load after load of nectar by forager ants until their abdomens become the size of peas. As they get bigger, they haul themsleves up onto the roof of the nest to avoid being damaged. Once hanging from the roof, the repletes refine the nectar into thick honey. During long winters and droughts, repletes regurgitate their contents to feed other colony inhabitants - a strategy to enable these ants to survive in the desert.
Empire of the Ants is the epic story of one honey ant queen's dramatic rise to power - her brutal fall from grace.
Available since: Thu 4 Aug 2011
- Series Editor
- Steve Greenwood
- Andy Serkis
- Ian Gray
- Executive Producer
- Tim Martin
This clip is from
2/13 A look at how a new honey ant queen wages a battle for survival while building her empire.
First broadcast: 10 Aug 2011
Be captivated, informed and inspired by the world's wildlife.
More clips from Empire of the Desert Ants
More clips from Natural World
- Trailer - The Bat Man of Mexico Duration: 00:42 2014-2015, The Bat Man of Mexico
- The Bat Man of Mexico Duration: 01:42 2014-2015, The Bat Man of Mexico
- Masters of the air Duration: 00:53 2014-2015, The Bat Man of Mexico
- Bat volcano erupts Duration: 00:58 2014-2015, The Bat Man of Mexico
- Baby bat birth Duration: 01:59 2014-2015, The Bat Man of Mexico