Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms
Tom Service, composer Julian Anderson and Stravinsky biographer Stephen Walsh examine the Symphony of Psalms with the BBC Singers and the BBCSO conducted by Michal Dworzynski.
Stravinsky composed his psalm settings in the years between the two World Wars, and they are one of the first musical expressions of his re-discovered Christian faith. The work has proved one of the composer's most succesful and influential pieces. Tom Service hosts a round table forum on the piece, examining its background and the ideas behind the music with illustrations and a complete performance given by the BBC Singers and BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Available since: Fri 1 Jul 2011
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:29 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 48:49 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 44:08 Debussy's La mer
- Beethoven: String Quartet in A minor, Op 132 Duration: 43:42 Beethoven: String Quartet in A minor, Op 132
- The Art of Jazz Improvisation Duration: 1:30:33 The Art of Jazz Improvisation