Announcement of the death of Bobby Sands
Brian Hanrahan reports from Belfast on the riotous reaction to the death of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands. Barricades were erected in republican areas, with missiles and petrol bombs being thrown at the security forces who responded with plastic bullet rounds.
An army barracks at Springfield Road was besieged and a milkman and his assistant (his son) were seriously injured when their vehicle was stoned in the New Lodge district of north Belfast.
Available since: Wed 11 May 2011
- News Reader
- John Edmunds
- Brian Hanrahan
More clips from 05/05/1981
More clips from BBC Midday News
- Political reaction to Bobby Sands' death Duration: 02:31 05/05/1981
- Bobby Sands Obituary Duration: 03:01 05/05/1981
- Highlights from the wedding of Prince Charles to Diana Duration: 03:32 29/07/1981
- Wales celebrates the marriage of Charles and Diana Duration: 00:47 29/07/1981
- Scotland celebrates as Prince Charles marries Diana Duration: 00:50 29/07/1981