"The Massacre of the Innocents"
Bruegel's best-known painting appears to be a Christmas scene, but with a closer look, it becomes the massacre of a village, with the ghostly remnants of children who have been painted over in later years to conceal its true horror
Available since: Fri 17 Jun 2011
- Christopher Lloyd
- Keith Alexander
This clip is from
26/31 Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures Christopher Lloyd explains why he loves Bruegel's works.
First broadcast: 01 May 1993
More clips from The Great Picture Trail
- A Lady in a Fur Wrap Duration: 01:35 Sylvette David on El Greco
- "Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's house" Duration: 01:32 Rt Hon Sir Edward Heath MP on Constable
- Eos the Greyhound Duration: 01:17 Vic Granger on Sir Edwin Landseer
- A gardeners perspective Duration: 01:19 Clay Jones on Claude Lorrain
- Dame Jean Conan Doyle on Turner Duration: 01:18 Dame Jean Conan Doyle on Turner