Shostakovich: String Quartet No. 8
When Shostakovich wrote his 8th quartet he believed it would be his musical valediction. Stephen Johnson joins the members of the Royal String Quartet in Norwich for a closer look at the ideas behind this, the composer's most often performed quartet.
Available since: Thu 5 May 2011
- Stephen Johnson
- Royal String Quartet
Listen to programmes examining the life and works of Dmitri Shostakovich.
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch: Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:50 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Watch: Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand Duration: 26:19 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:29 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 48:49 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 44:08 Debussy's La mer