Rachmaninov: Third Piano Concerto
Recorded in Glasgow's City Halls Stephen Johnson explores Rachmaninov's Third Piano Concerto with excerpts by pianist, Nelson Goerner and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Stefan Solyom. Stephen considers the work's great significance within the piano repertoire, whilst exploring its many subtleties.
The programme also includes one of four weekly 'Codas' in which conductor and music pyschologist, Christopher Gayford looks at some of ways in which humans process music.
Available since: Wed 4 May 2011
This clip is from
Stephen Johnson explores Rachmaninov's Third Piano Concerto, with pianist Nelson Goerner.
First broadcast: 08 Feb 2009
More clips from Rachmaninov: Third Piano Concerto
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:29 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 48:49 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 44:08 Debussy's La mer
- Beethoven: String Quartet in A minor, Op 132 Duration: 43:42 Beethoven: String Quartet in A minor, Op 132
- The Art of Jazz Improvisation Duration: 1:30:33 The Art of Jazz Improvisation