Delius and the orchestra
Frederick Delius was a truly international composer - born in Bradford of German parents, he lived for much of his life in rural France and was greatly inspired by painters and landscapes. His orchestral style is also a unique amalgam of sensuous imagery and intuition.
Conductor Martyn Brabbins and the BBC Symphony Orchestra examine Delius's orchestral music, focussing on three contrasting pieces, "On hearing the first cuckoo in spring", "The walk to the Paradise Garden" and Dance Rhapsody No. 2.
Available since: Thu 28 Apr 2011
More clips from Delius and the orchestra
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos