Chopin: Mazurkas and Polonaises
As part of the 2010 Birmingham International Piano Academy, Stephen Johnson is joined by pianist Ashley Wass at the Birmingham Conservatoire to explore the intricacies and folk-music elements in Chopin's Mazurkas and Polonaises.
It's widely thought that Chopin's first ever composition was a Polonaise (which he wrote at the age of seven) and his last, fittingly, was a Mazurka. His 58 Mazurkas and 25 Polonaises, based on traditional Polish folk-dances, signalled new ideas of musical nationalism which influenced and inspired other composers to support their national music.
Available since: Wed 27 Apr 2011
- Ashley Wass
More clips from Chopin's Mazurkas
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 Duration: 49:55 Sibelius's Fifth Symphony
- Arvo Part Choral Music Duration: 36:10 Arvo Pärt Choral Music
- John Adams: The Wound Dresser Duration: 31:01 John Adams: The Wound Dresser & Shaker Loops