Sugar in the Rackham House
As Sugar teaches Sophie in the garden, they are interrupted by William and Lady Bridgelow. In front of his guest, William makes small talk with Sugar as if she were an ordinary employee, calling her “Miss Sugar”.
Sugar explains she has brought Sophie outside for some sunshine as she has grown pale. She tries to hide the object of her lesson, a worm, from view. Lady Bridgelow remarks that a Lady can never be too pale. Sugar rebukes her, saying that a child needs fresh air, much to the Lady’s annoyance.
Sugar looks on as William and Lady Bridgelow continue through the garden; seeing the two of them together has made her uncomfortable. With hesitation she calls out to ‘Mr Rackham’ to request a meeting; overstepping her limits as an employee. She tries to quiz Sophie about Lady Bridgelow but Sophie is unable to help. “My father says I was a good girl, Miss.” Sugar is deep in fear for her position in William’s life and coldly tells her that is not what her father said.
Available since: Wed 13 Apr 2011
- Romola Garai
- William Rackham
- Chris O'Dowd
- Lady Constance Bridgelow
- Elizabeth Berrington
- Sophie Rackham
- Isla Watt
- Marc Munden
- David M Thompson
- Steve Lightfoot
- Greg Dummett
- Lucinda Coxon
More clips from Episode 3
More clips from The Crimson Petal and the White
- Deleted scene: Mrs Fox alone at Christmas Duration: 00:55 Episode 3
- Deleted scene: William and Clara discuss Agnes' condition Duration: 00:47 Episode 3
- Deleted scene: Rackham Senior wishes William a merry Christmas Duration: 00:54 Episode 3
- Williams Seeks Sugar's Forgiveness Duration: 01:49 Episode 4
- Deleted scene: Sugar meets Sophie and Beatrice Cleave Duration: 00:47 Episode 2