Filthy Cities - Industrial New York Teaser
Dan Snow travels back to a seething Manhattan in the throes of the industrial revolution. Millions fled persecution, poverty and famine in Europe in the 19th century in search of the Promised Land. When they arrived what they found was even worse than what they'd left behind.
New York was a city consumed by filth and corruption, its massive immigrant population crammed together in the slums of Lower Manhattan. Dan succumbs to some of the deadly disease-carrying parasites that thrived in the filthy, overcrowded tenement buildings. He has a go at cooking with some cutting edge 19th century ingredients - clothes dye and floor cleaner - added to disguise reeking fetid meat. And he marvels at some of the incredible feats of engineering that transformed not just the city, but the world.
Available since: Tue 12 Apr 2011
- Series Producer
- Sam Starbuck
- Dan Snow
- Executive Producer
- Eamon Hardy
More clips from Industrial New York
More clips from Filthy Cities
- Behind the scenes at the Filthy Cities soundtrack recording Duration: 01:34
- Revolutionary Paris Scratch and Sniff - Marie Antoinette's perfume Duration: 02:57
- Revolutionary Paris Scratch and Sniff - 18th Century Tannery Duration: 03:49
- Revolutionary Paris Scratch and Sniff - Pong de Paris Duration: 02:53
- Industrial New York - rotten meat sausage anyone? Duration: 01:40 Industrial New York