Discovering Music - Beethoven: Symphony No 3 (Eroica)
Stephen Johnson presents a programme exploring Beethoven's Third Symphony in E flat major, the Eroica. It is well known that Beethoven intended to dedicate the symphony to Napoleon, but when Napoleon had himself crowned Emperor in 1804, Beethoven angrily scratched out this dedication and the symphony was then titled the 'Heroic' symphony. Stephen Johnson considers this theme of 'heroism' in the work, illustrated with examples from the symphony by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Christophe Mangou.
Available since: Wed 9 Mar 2011
This clip is from
Stephen Johnson explores Beethoven's Third Symphony in E flat, the Eroica.
First broadcast: 21 Feb 2010
More clips from Beethoven: Symphony No 3 (Eroica)
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch: Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:50 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Watch: Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand Duration: 26:19 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:29 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 48:49 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 44:08 Debussy's La mer