Mary explains what "A Taste of Home" means to her
Nothing connects you to home like the smell of the food your mum used to cook, so the Hairy Bikers visit three mums to share their unique taste of home.
First up is Mary with Welsh classics bara brith and Welsh cakes, dishes that bring the taste of the valleys alive in her home counties kitchen. Julia's Jamaican dishes, salt fish and ackee with dumplings provide a totally different but equally delicious taste of home.
Third mum Mariken is from the Netherlands and, while it's only a few hundred miles across the North Sea, the cuisine is a million miles away from anything the Bikers are used to. Deep fried meaty kroketten and a pea and ham soup, with most of a pig's head in it, provide a complete contrast to the food of the first two mums.
Along the way the boys rustle up two of their own favourite tastes of home, a spaghetti bolognese and home made Battenberg cake.
With the travelling done, hundreds of foodies descend on the Bikers' recipe fair. Amidst the recipe swapping and general mayhem, the Bikers cook their ultimate taste of home, liver and bacon, while food historian Gerard Baker challenges the boys and three recipe fair visitors to a skills challenge - making a meringue basket.
Available since: Mon 14 Feb 2011
- Series Producer
- Oliver Clark
- Dave Myers
- Si King
- Dan Slee
- Dan Slee
- Executive Producer
- Gill Tierney
This clip is from
2/8 The Bikers visit three mums to share their unique taste of home.
First broadcast: 17 Feb 2011
More clips from A Taste of Home
- Gerard's recipe swap EXTRA - The Ultimate Chocolate Cake Duration: 00:54
- Gerard's Recipe Swap EXTRA - Naomi's Kamut Loaf Duration: 01:17
- Gerard's Recipe Swap EXTRA - Apple Pie Duration: 00:43
- Si gives Dave a rude awakening! Duration: 00:28
- The Hairy Bikers put together their Battenberg cake Duration: 01:41
More clips from The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best
- Red Button Mum - Eele Duration: 15:00 Series 1, Show Off Dishes
- Red Button Mum - Connie Duration: 14:10 Series 1, Birthday Treats
- Red Button Mum - Harjinder Duration: 17:30 Series 1, Simple Suppers
- Red Button Mum - Julia Duration: 13:47 Series 1, Sunday Dinners
- Gerard Web Extra: RASPBERRY & WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE Duration: 01:29 Series 2, Family Classics