Gerewol courtship festival
After a long drought it’s the first Gerewol for 6 years, a male beauty contest for the Wodaabe men of Niger to impress young women and get a new lover.
The three female judges are looking for specific things: The man must keep great poise, show his teeth, flutter his lips and sing from his throat.
Wodaabe culture allows both men and women to set aside their marriage vows during the festival so although Djao is married, he and his wife are both up for a fling.
Available since: Fri 14 Jan 2011
- Series Producer
- Dale Templar
- John Hurt
- Tuppence Stone
Clips from BBC programmes showcasing man's relationship with the natural environment.
More clips from Deserts - Life in the Furnace
More clips from Human Planet
- Living with hazards: Indonesian sulphur miners Duration: 05:13 Mountains - Life in Thin Air
- Living with hazards: Simien cliff farmers Duration: 06:06 Mountains - Life in Thin Air
- Living without water: Tubu traders Duration: 07:32 Deserts - Life in the Furnace
- Living with cold: reindeer herders in Norway Duration: 06:44 Arctic - Life in the Deep Freeze
- Living without water: Atacama fog catching nets Duration: 05:00 Deserts - Life in the Furnace