USA : Fiddler Benton Flippen in North Carolina
Banning Eyre embarks on a journey across the state of North Carolina to hear the music and stories of some of the older players and singers who can trace a direct line back to before the age of the radio and the gramophone, to when Old Time music was a strictly oral tradition.
89 year-old Benton Flippen and his Smokey Valley boys, are remnants of a past age and of the heyday of Old Time stringband music, having learnt their tunes at the knee of their parents and grandparents. It won't be long before the last of this generation has passed, and those guardians of the flame, who knew this music as a vital pre-modern part of everyday life in the rural south are with us no longer.
Benton Flippen and the Smokey Valley Boys — Cotton Eyed Joe
Benton Flippen and the Smokey Valley Boys — Fortune
Benton Flippen and the Smokey Valley Boys — Cackling Hen
BBC recording at the home of Benton Flippen, Mt Airy, North Carolina, USA: 7th June 2009
Available since: Fri 14 Jan 2011
This clip is from
2/3 Banning Eyre meets traditional US musicians and singers from around North Carolina.
First broadcast: 24 Oct 2009
This collection features our choice of musical highlights from across the globe.
More clips from World Routes
- Extracts from the forthcoming film 'Growing Into Music - Azerbaijan' by SOAS Duration: 04:01 World Routes Academy, 2013, Part 5
- Extracts from the forthcoming film 'Growing Into Music - Azerbaijan' by SOAS Duration: 03:58 World Routes Academy, 2013, Part 5
- Listen to World Routes Academy in Azerbaijan Duration: 58:45 World Routes Academy, 2013, World Routes Academy in Azerbaijan
- World Routes in Equatorial Guinea Duration: 03:50 Equatorial Guinea, Equatorial Guinea Episode 2
- World Routes in Equatorial Guinea Duration: 05:17 Equatorial Guinea, Equatorial Guinea Episode 1