Can We Build An Elevator To Space?
Materials scientist Dr Mark Miodownik reveals that we are now capable of making fibres that, in theory, should be strong enough to support an elevator that could carry objects from the Earth 36,000 km up to space.
Available since: Fri 31 Dec 2010
- Series Producer
- David Kendall
- Mark Miodownik
- Executive Producer
- David Dugan
This clip is from
3/3 Dr Mark Miodownik investigates the world of the very big and very tall.
First broadcast: 30 Dec 2010
More clips from Royal Institution Christmas Lectures
- How does a cell know when to die? Duration: 01:50 2013: Life Fantastic, Could I Live Forever?
- Why is there such stunning diversity on our planet? Duration: 01:58 2013: Life Fantastic, Am I a Mutant?
- You are amazing! Duration: 01:47 2013: Life Fantastic, Where Do I Come From?
- Levitating Superconductors Duration: 02:05 2012: The Modern Alchemist, Earth: The Philosopher's Stone
- A Bigger Bang Duration: 01:22 2012: The Modern Alchemist, Water: The Fountain of Youth