How rare is our blue planet?
Dr Lynn Rothschild explains how the Earth is located in the habitable zone of the Sun, an orbit that permits liquid water to exist. Astronomers hope to find planets similar to the Earth in the habitable zones of other stars as part of their search for places where life could exist.
Available since: Thu 12 Aug 2010
More clips from Are we Alone in the Universe?
More clips from Horizon
- Swabbing for bacterial DNA Duration: 01:14 2014-2015, Allergies: Modern Life and Me
- Frightening allergic reactions Duration: 01:12 2014-2015, Allergies: Modern Life and Me
- Trail: Should I Eat Meat? - How to Feed the Planet Duration: 01:41 2014-2015, Should I Eat Meat? - How to Feed the Planet
- Trail: Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma Duration: 01:47 2014-2015, Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma
- What's Wrong with our Weather? Duration: 01:15 2013-2014, What's Wrong with Our Weather?