Among the many elephants that live in the shadow of Kilimanjaro is a familiar-looking male that the researchers haven't seen for so long they don't immediately recognise him. This is Ely, who has been away from the herd for over eight years and now searches for the remaining members of his own family among the hundreds of elephants that have gathered after the rains.
Available since: Thu 5 Aug 2010
- Martyn Colbeck
- Cynthia Moss
- Mike Birkhead
This clip is from
2/14 The world-famous matriarch died in 2009 - can her 38 relatives and descendants survive?
First broadcast: 05 Aug 2010
Be captivated, informed and inspired by the world's wildlife.
More clips from Echo - An Unforgettable Elephant
More clips from Natural World
- Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs Duration: 01:41 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Frog applies 'sun cream' Duration: 01:02 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Battle of the bullfrogs Duration: 01:04 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Frog swallow Duration: 00:59 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Web exclusive: Lemur leaf frog conservation Duration: 01:46 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs