Is Infinity A Number?
Professor Tim Gowers examines infinity to see if it can be written as a number.
This episode looks at the story of infinity. Mathematicians have discovered there are infinitely many infinities, each one infinitely bigger than the last. And if the universe goes on forever, the consequences are even more bizarre. In an infinite universe, there are infinitely many copies of the Earth and infinitely many copies of you. Older than time, bigger than the universe and stranger than fiction.
Available since: Wed 10 Feb 2010
- Steven Berkoff
- Stephen Cooter
- Andrew Cohen
More clips from Horizon
- Comet ISON approaches the Sun Duration: 01:57 2013-2014, Comet of the Century: A Horizon Special
- Origins of the Solar System Duration: 04:06 2013-2014, Comet of the Century: A Horizon Special
- ISON - the comet of the century? Duration: 00:57 2013-2014, Comet of the Century: A Horizon Special
- Dr Mary Schweitzer's quest to find ancient biological material Duration: 02:18 2013-2014, Dinosaurs: The Hunt for Life
- Finding smuggled bones in Mongolia Duration: 01:23 2013-2014, Dinosaurs: The Hunt for Life