Prairie dogs are America's answer to the meerkat - small, sociable and exceptionally cute. This offbeat film narrated by Rob Brydon takes us to the Wild West where prairie dogs live in huge colonies known as 'towns'. Like meerkats, they are comical to watch, but there is a whole lot more to prairie dogs than just being cute - they can talk.
For 30 years Professor Con Slobodchikoff has been recording their calls in response to predators like coyotes, hawks and badgers. He believes he has discovered a language second only to humans in its complexity. It's a bold claim but is he right? Con has devised a series of cunning field experiments to help prove his point.
Available since: Mon 1 Feb 2010
- Rob Brydon
- Stephen Dunleavy
This clip is from
12/14 Documentary following a professor studying the complex language used by prairie dogs.
First broadcast: 03 Feb 2010
Be captivated, informed and inspired by the world's wildlife.
More clips from Prairie Dogs - Talk of the Town
More clips from Natural World
- Beavers Behaving Badly Duration: 02:38 2014-2015, Beavers Behaving Badly
- Baby beavers Duration: 00:37 2014-2015, Beavers Behaving Badly
- Tree Felling Duration: 00:52 2014-2015, Beavers Behaving Badly
- Brazen Beaver Duration: 01:46 2014-2015, Beavers Behaving Badly
- Penguin vs skua Duration: 01:20 2014-2015, Penguin Post Office