Charles I executed
After refusing to recognise the legitimacy of the court during his trial, Charles is found guilty of treason and executed. In Scotland his son is declared Charles II, King of Scots.
Available since: Wed 4 Nov 2009
This clip is from
1/5 The story of the National Covenant of 1638 - a document that led to the Civil War.
First broadcast: 08 Nov 2009
The drafting of a national contract with God sees Scotland conquered by Cromwell.
More clips from God's Chosen People
More clips from A History of Scotland
- William Wallace Duration: 03:28 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- The Battle of Stirling Bridge Duration: 03:42 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- The Battle of Falkirk Duration: 02:12 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- Jacobite invasion plan, 1708 Duration: 02:59 Series 2, Let's Pretend
- The Battle of Culloden, 1746 Duration: 04:15 Series 2, Let's Pretend