As the temperature begins to rise in May, the bears must remove the fur undercoat that has kept them warm throughout the winter. A good long scratch and rubbing themselves against nearby trees all helps to get rid of the extra fur. After being stuck underground for seven months, playing with each other is an ideal way to get strong and fit once more, but the mother, June, has her hands full with three energetic yearlings cubs to look after.
Available since: Tue 27 Oct 2009
- Lynn Rogers
- Ted Oakes
This clip is from
1/14 A portrait of the lives of black bears in northern Minnesota, with biologist Lynn Rogers.
First broadcast: 28 Oct 2009
Be captivated, informed and inspired by the world's wildlife.
More clips from Bearwalker of the Northwoods: Natural World
More clips from Natural World
- Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs Duration: 01:41 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Frog applies 'sun cream' Duration: 01:02 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Battle of the bullfrogs Duration: 01:04 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Frog swallow Duration: 00:59 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
- Web exclusive: Lemur leaf frog conservation Duration: 01:46 2014-2015, Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs