Around half the meat we eat in Britain is chicken. But in the past decade the UK's poultry industry has experienced some fairly unpleasant bugs. Matt reports on the single biggest problem facing the industry - campylobacter. It's a form of food poisoning which is carried in two in every three chickens and can be deadly.
Chris and Gaby find out exactly what's in chicken nuggets. While Gaby gets a lesson on how to make homemade chicken nuggets Chris investigates what's in the shop-bought version. Gaby also looks at takeaway nuggets and reveals what's in them to a group of school children.
In Oxford environmental health officer Richard visits a Chinese restaurant where he finds seaweed being stored in boxes which were previously used for chicken, and fat dripping from a ceiling fan. The seaweed has to be binned and the restaurant owner is asked to tighten up procedures ahead of a return visit.
In Coventry food safety officer Nicki inspects a takeaway where she finds cockroaches and closes the business. It's one of the worst infestations she has ever seen. Pest control are called in by the owner and the place is given a major clean. After several return visits the food safety officers give the go-ahead for the premises to re-open.
Chris looks at an outbreak of food poisoning from a food festival which was traced back to raw curry leaves used in a chutney. He gets a lesson on the best way to clean and cook herbs, including curry leaves, from Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar.