Music Played13 items
Electric Light Orchestra Shine A Little Love
ELO's Greatest Hits Vol.2, Epic
(CD Single), Polydor, 1
Ashton, Gardner & Dyke Resurrection Shuffle
25 Years Of Rock'n'Roll: 1971, Connoisseur Collection
George McCrae Rock Your Baby
The Greatest Hits Of 1974 (Various), Premier
The Best Pub Jukebox In The World (V), Virgin
James Blunt Bonfire Heart
(CD Single), Atlantic, 1
The Rolling Stones Not Fade Away
The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks, Abkco
The O'Jays Back Stabbers
The Ultimate Sound Of Philadelphia, Columbia
Journey Don't Stop Believing
Rock Of America (Various Artists), Trax Label
Eliza Doolittle Let It Rain
(CD Single), Parlophone, 1
The Equals Baby Come Back
Fifty Number Ones Of The 60's (Variou, Global Television
Capital Cities Safe And Sound
(CD Single), Capitol
Linda Ronstadt Blue Bayou
The Female Touch 2 (Various Artists), Global Television
Nigel's Root Vegetable Gratin
Root Vegetable Gratin
by Rachel Allen from Rachel’s Everyday Kitchen (Harper Collins)
There is an open secret to making gratins taste divine – adding cream & plenty of it!
I like to combine carrots, parsnips & celeriac for their distinctive flavour & contrasting colours. Serve as a rich accompaniment to roast chicken or with grilled or roast lamb; it also makes a delicious meal in itself.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish (4 as a main)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1hr
600g (1lb 5oz) carrots, peeled (450g/1lb peeled weight)
600g (1lb 5oz) parsnips, peeled (450g/1lb peeled weight)
600g (1lb 5oz) celeriac, peeled (400g/14oz peeled weight)
500ml (18fl oz) double or regular cream
250ml (9fl oz) milk
3 cloves of garlic, peeled & crushed or finely grated
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
25g (1oz) butter, diced
20 x 30cm (8 x 12 in) ovenproof dish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) / gas mark 6.
2. Slice the carrots, parsnips & celeriac into bite-sized rounds or pieces about 3mm (⅛ in) thick, then mix together in a large bowl.
3. Pour the cream & milk into a large saucepan & add the garlic.
4. Place on a medium heat & bring to a simmer, then pour the hot liquid over the vegetables & mix together thoroughly.
5. Season with salt & pepper & tip the mixture into the ovenproof dish.
6. Cover with foil, then place in the oven to bake for 40 mins.
7. Take the dish out of the oven & remove the foil.
8. Dot the vegetables with the butter & bake for a further 20 mins or until the vegetables are tender & golden on top.
9. Remove & serve immediately.