PIP disability benefit, direct debit charges, putting your home into a trust and slow Financial Ombudsman Service

From Monday any disabled person with care or mobility needs will have to claim a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) rather than Disability Living Allowance which it is replacing. PIP demands a higher level of disability to get the same amount of money. We look at what those criteria are and how they have changed.

If you have a complaint about a financial firm that cannot be resolved then the standard advice is 'go to the Financial Ombudsman Service'. But many listeners have contacted us to say the service is so slow that the delays are costing them money too. The Deputy Chief Ombudsman answers the criticisms.

Many people are afraid of the cost of going into care in later life. But is putting your home into trust a sensible way to hide it from the local council? Many advisers say it is. But they charge a hefty fee upfront and offer no guarantee that this wheeze will work. A lawyer and a local council director advise.

Almost all the High Street banks have agreed not to send customers into overdraft if sufficient funds arrive to cover the deficit by the end of the day. The Financial Conduct Authority says charges in these circumstances have cost customers £200 million a year. But could the FCA have been tougher? And why did the banks charge us in the first place?

Release date:

Available now

30 minutes

Last on

Sun 9 Jun 2013 21:00

The Death of Retirement

The Death of Retirement

Money Box explores what retirement might look like in the future,

Download this programme

Download this episode

Subscribe to this programme or download individual episodes.