Music Played13 items
KISS Crazy Crazy Nights
Now 10, Part 1 (Various Artists), Now
Robbie Williams Be A Boy
(CD Single), Island, 1
The Smiths Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow, WEA, 5
The Maisonettes Heartache Avenue
History Of The 80's (Various Artists), Br Music
The Rolling Stones Paint It Black
The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks, Abkco
Josh Groban Brave
All That Echoes, Reprise, 1
Carole King It Might As Well Rain Until September
Heartbeat - Forever Yours, Sony
Michael Jackson Black Or White
(CD Single), Epic
Electric Light Orchestra Don't Bring Me Down
Light Years - The Very Best Of ELO, Epic, 4
Dido No Freedom
(CD Single), RCA, 1
Travis Why Does It Always Rain On Me?
(CD Single), Independiente
Miss 600 Hello
(CD Single), Membran, 1
Carlene Carter Every Little Thing
Fennel, Taleggio & Cardamom Tart
Adapted from The Art of Tart by Tamasin Day-Lewis (Random House)
Serves 8 as a starter or 6 as a main
Prep time: 3hrs start to finish (including resting & refrigeration time)
Cooking time: 40 mins
For the dough
225g/1½ cups unbleached all-purpose / plain flour
110g unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes & chilled?
¼ tsp fine sea salt?
4-5 tbsp iced water
For the filling
3 medium fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise; 2½ lbs / 1.133kg total)?
8 green cardamom pods?
60ml / ¼ cup dry white wine?
60ml / ¼ cup water?
60ml / ¼ cup olive oil?
2 tbsp unsalted butter?
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 whole large eggs
1 large egg yolk?
120 ml / ½ cup whole milk?
120 ml / ½ cup double cream?
60 ml / ¼ cup crème fraîche?
75g / 3oz chilled Taleggio cheese, rind discarded, cheese cut into 1cm cubes (Nigel suggests doubling the cheese for more flavour!)
a pastry / bench scraper
28cm / 11 inch round, fluted tart tin (3cm / 1¼ inches deep; with removable bottom)
pie weights, or raw rice / dried beans
For the dough
1. Blend together flour, butter & salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until most of mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-sized) butter lumps.
2. Drizzle evenly with 60 ml / ¼ cup ice water & gently stir with a fork (or pulse) until incorporated.
3. Squeeze a small handful of dough; if it doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, ½ tbsp at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated, then test again. Do not overwork, or pastry will be tough.
4. Turn dough out onto a work surface & divide into 4 portions. With heel of your hand smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute butter. Gather dough together & form into a disk. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 1hr.
For the filling
1. Remove fennel stalks & fronts. Quarter bulbs lengthwise. Cut out & discard core, then cut each quarter crosswise into ½cm / ¼ inch-thick slices.
2. Flatten cardamom pods with side of a large heavy knife. Remove black seeds & discard pods. Crush seeds as much as possible with flat side of knife, then finely chop.
3. Bring wine, water, oil, butter, cardamom, ½ tsp salt & ¼ tsp black pepper to a simmer in a 30cm / 12-inch heavy saucepan, then add fennel & cook, covered, over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, 20-25 mins. Let cool.
To assemble & bake the tart
1. Put a rack in the middle of oven & preheat oven to 190°C/375F/Gas mark 5.
2. Roll out dough into a 38 cm / 15 inch round, on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin & fit into tart pan, trimming pastry flush with rim. Lightly prick bottom & sides of shell all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
3. Line tart shell with foil & fill with pie weights. Put tart pan on a large baking sheet & bake until sides are set & edges are pale golden, 15-20 mins. Carefully remove weights & foil & bake shell until golden, 10-15 mins more. Transfer to a rack.
4. Whisk together eggs & yolk in a large bowl until foamy. Whisk in milk, cream, crème fraîche, & remaining ½ tsp salt & ¼ tsp pepper.
5. Transfer fennel mixture to shell with a slotted spoon, spreading evenly. Dot with cheese. Pour custard into shell & bake tart until set, 20-25 mins. Cool on a rack for 15 mins & remove rim before serving.
• The tart shell can be baked up to 1 day ahead & kept, loosely covered, at room temp.
• The tart can be made up to 1 day ahead & cooled completely, then refrigerated, loosely covered. Reheat in a 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 oven for 10-15 mins.