Music Played13 items
Bryan Ferry Let's Stick Together
Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music - Street Life, Eg
The Robert Cray Band A Memo
(CD Single), Provogue Records, 1
Carpenters Please Mr Postman
The Carpenters - Yesterday Once More, A&M
Maxïmo Park Heaven (Live)
Dermot O'Leary Presents The Saturday Sessions 2013, Sony Music
Donna Summer Love's Unkind
Best Of Donna Summer, Warner Bros.
Dido No Freedom
(CD Single), RCA, 1
The Everly Brothers Bye Bye Love
Acuff-Rose Opryland Music: 50th Anniv, Acuff-Rose Opryland
The Human League Mirror Man
Rip It Up (Various Artists), EMI
Van Morrison Have I Told You Lately
The Very Best Of Van Morrison, Polydor, 2
Joe Cocker Fire It Up
Fire It Up, Sony Music
The Beatles All You Need Is Love
The Beatles - 1, Apple, 6
Andy Grammer Keep Your Head Up
Andy Grammer, S-Curve, 1
Skeeter Davis End Of The World
Rediscover The 60's - Sealed With A K, Old Gold
Nigel's Grilled Venison Recipe
Grilled Venison Haunch with Farro Salad & Green Peppercorn Dressing
From Salt Yard, Food & Wine from Spain & Italy (Piquillo Publishing)
By Ben Tish, Simon Mullins & Sanja Morris
Serves 4 as a main or 6-8 as a tapa
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
For the salad:
4 venison steaks
120g farro (or couscous, pearl barley or any grain you like)
4 artichokes in oil
250g cherry tomatoes
180g piquillo peppers (more often available in jars)
400g tin chickpeas, drained
small handful mint leaves
olive oil for cooking
sea salt & black pepper
For the peppercorn dressing:
3 tsp green peppercorns (fresh is ideal, try Chinese supermarkets, or otherwise widely available in jars)
1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
3 tsp coriander, chopped
3 tsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp red chilli, chopped
50ml Moscatel vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Soak the faro overnight (unless using a quick cook variety & follow instructions on packet).
2. Place the farro in a saucepan & cover with cold water. Bring to the boil & then simmer for about 20 mins until the farro is soft & tender.
3. Drain well & rinse under cold water for a few mins to get rid of the starch. Put to one side.
4. For the dressing, use a pestle & mortar to crush the green peppercorns & garlic to a paste.
5. Transfer the paste to a bowl & mix in the rest of the ingredients, combining well. Reserve.
6. Heat a grill pan or a large sauté pan to maximum heat.
7. Rub the venison steaks with olive oil & season.
8. Cook for 4 mins on each side or until the outside is seared & the inside is medium rare.
9. Let the steaks rest for 5 mins before slicing into strips.
10. To assemble the salad, quarter the artichokes, halve (or quarter if large) the cherry tomatoes & cut the piquillo peppers into strips.
11. Place in a large mixing bowl with the other salad ingredients, including the slices of venison.
12. Season with salt & pepper & add the green peppercorn dressing.
13. Combine everything together & then divide between serving bowls & serve.
A Tempranillo from Ribero del Duero in Spain will have the power & flavour to match fantastically.Nigel's Top Tips
- Oil your meat, not your pan.
- This dish should be served while the venison is warm, or at least room temp.
- Soark the farro overnight before cooking in salted boiling water, unless using quick cook farro.
- Chef Vatteroni says, "use good quality cooked chickpeas (Spanish) for a creamer texture.