Bette Midler, Louis Prima and Captain Scarlet
Mr O'Grady was chuffed to bits this week because the All Star Triples starred two of his favourites: Bette Midler and Louis Prima. His happiness extended to the Lost TV Theme too, a classic from 1967, Gerry Anderson's hit sci-fi show, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.
- Warm one pint of buttermilk in a pan with 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- Let it cool and add the one tablespoon of treacle
- Then add ¾ lb. lard, and 1lb dark brown sugar
- Then mix in 8oz candied peel, 8oz currants, 8oz raisins and 8oz sultanas. And finally, 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- Gradually combine a little of the liquid mixture with a little flour alternately until 2lb self-raising flour is combined
- Divide the mixture between three lined 2lb loaf tins
- Cover the tins with brown paper once in the oven
- Cook on the middle shelf, on Gas mark 3, for 2 to 2¼ hours. When completely cold, wrap in baking paper and tinfoil and store in a cool dry place
Thanks to Clare and Julia McAllister from Shepperton for sending in that recipe for bunloaf.