Professor Dame Carol Black
Adviser on Health at Work
|Fact title||Fact data|
|Born||26 December 1939|
|Place of Birth||Leicestershire|
|Education||University of Bristol|
Professor Dame Carol is the Department of Health’s Expert Advisor on improving the welfare of working people. Until recently she advised the Department for Work and Pensions as National Director for Health and Work. She is also Chairman of the Nuffield Trust.
A medic, she was Head of Rheumatology at the Royal Free Hospital from 1989-1994, and maintains an interest in the research into connective tissue diseases. She was president of the Royal College of Physicians from 2002-2006. She was appointed Principal of Newnham College, Cambridge.
Women from the world of health
- Professor Dame Sally Davies No. 6Chief Medical Officer for England
- Clare Gerada MBE Chair of the Royal College of GPs
- Dame Julie Moore Chief Executive of University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Dame Carol Black Adviser on Health at Work
- Professor Sue Bailey President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists