Chicory tart with blue vinaigrette & toasted walnuts
• 200gr caster sugar
• 30g butter
• Sea salt
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves only
• 6 small chicory heads, quartered
• 4 x 123cm/5in circles ready-rolledpuff pastry
• 100g Strathdon Blue
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 50g Dijon mustard
• 50ml white wine vinegar
• 200m Summer harvest rapeseed oil
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• handful walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas mark 6.
2. Heat the sugar and 50m water in a saucepan until the sugar melts and the caramel is golden-brown. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter until smooth. Divide the caramel between four x 13cm/5in ovenproof dishes.
3. Sprinkle the sea salt and thyme over the caramel and lay the chicory heads on top. Press the pastry circles onto the chicory and trim the edges to fit. Place the dishes into the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden-brown.
4. For the vinaigrette, blend the cheese, garlic, mustard and white wine vinegar in a food processor. With the motor on a slow setting, gradually add the oil and seasoning and blend until smooth and well combined.
5. To serve, invert the tarts onto serving plates and drizzle over the vinaigrette. Sprinkle over the walnuts and mustard cress.
• 1 head of chicory , divided into 6 individual leaves
• 55g goats cheese , crumbled
• 55g cooked potatoes, chopped
• 55g cooked peas
• 30g pecans, roughly chopped
For the dressing
• 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp honey
• 1 tsp Arran grain mustard
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the six chicory leaves on a serving plate.
2. In a small bowl, mix the goats' cheese, potatoes, peas and walnuts together until combined.
3. For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients and mix in the goats' cheese and potato mixture.
4. Spoon the goats' cheese mixture into the chicory leaves and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Chill until required and serve.
For the creamed endive
• Rapeseed oil
• 1 large chicory finely shredded
• 50ml double cream
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
For the creamed endive, place a little oil into a frying a pan and bring to a medium heat, add the chicory and cook until softened, stir through the double cream and chives until warmed through, Serve
Bringing you the funny bits from the last week on BBC Radio Scotland.