Special Guest: Tony Caldeira
Tony Caldeira is a man on a mission - to create a British workforce who can defeat the economic might of China - using only cushions!BBC Two: The Town Taking on China
BBC FoodRocket Recipes
Chef Jak O'Donnell's Rocket Recipes
Crispy Rocket & onion salad
1 tbsp Summer Harvest Rapeseed oil
½ lemon, juice only
½ red onion, finely sliced
1 tsp brown sugar
Place the rocket leaves into a bowl with half a tablespoon of oil and the lemon juice and mix well.
Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and fry the onion with the sugar until crisp and caramelised.
To serve, place the dressed rocket onto a serving plate and top with the onion.
Rocket, lettuce & mint soup
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
4 spring onions, chopped
200ml/7fl oz white wine
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
85g/3oz rocket leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 head little gem , chopped
3 tbsp double cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 slice white bread
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 chopped fresh mint leaves, to serve
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a pan and gently fry the spring onions for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the wine and simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
3. Stir in the stock, bring to the boil and add the rocket and lettuce. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stir in the cream and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend until smooth with a stick blender.
4. Drizzle the remaining oil over the slice of bread, scatter the garlic over and toast under the grill until golden-brown and crisp.
5. To serve, return the soup to the pan to warm through if needed, then ladle into a serving bowl and serve with the garlic crouton. Garnish with rocket leaves and chopped mint leaves.
Salmon & rocket frittata
• 4 free-range eggs
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 100gr smoked salmon
• 50g/1½oz canned butter beans , rinsed and drained
• small bunch rocket
• 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Preheat the grill to medium.
2. Place the eggs into a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and beat well.
3. Add the salmon, butter beans and rocket and mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the base is golden-brown and the frittata is almost set.
5. Place the frittata under the grill and cook for a few minutes, until golden-brown on top and completely set.
6. To serve, cut the frittata into wedges and place onto serving plates.
Pork and rocket saltimbocca
• 150g/5½oz Pork tenderloin
• large handful fresh Rocket
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 slice prosciutto
• 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Place the pork onto a chopping board, cover with cling film and flatten with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
2. Remove the cling film. Place half of the rocket on top of the pork and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roll the pork up to enclose the rocket, wrap the prosciutto around the pork and secure with cocktail sticks.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the pork and fry, turning occasionally, until golden-brown and completely cooked through.
Remove the pork from the pan and serve on a pile of the remaining rocket
Bringing you the funny bits from the last week on BBC Radio Scotland.