John Dory Fillets - With Mango Salsa
• 1 orange , zest and juice only
• 1 l lemon, zest and juice only
• 1 tbsp lime marmaldae
• ½ tsp ground fennel seed
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• 4 x 150g/5oz John Dory fillets
• 1 Mango, peeled, stone removed, finely chopped
• 1 large tomato , seeds removed, finely chopped
• 1 small red onion , finely chopped
• 1 mild green chilli, finely sliced into rings
• 4 limes , juice only
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Place the orange and lemon zests, lime marmalade, ground fennel seed and cumin into a bowl and mix well to combine. Add some of the orange and lemon juices to make a runny marinade.
2. Place the John Dory fillets into a dish and pour over the marinade. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the mango, tomato, red onion, chilli and lime juice into a separate bowl and mix to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside until ready to serve.
4. Heat a frying pan until hot and add the oil. Add the marinated John Dory fillets, flesh-side down and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until caramelised and the fish is just cooked through.
5. To serve, place a spoonful of the mango salsa into the centre of each plate and top each with a John Dory fillet.
Spiced John Dory in Batter with cucumber & chilli salad
• 1½ tsp each ginger and garlic pastes, mixed
• ½ tsp ground turmeric
• ½ tsp red chilli powder or crushed black pepper
• ¼ tsp garam masala powder
• 100g/4oz flour
• 1 tbsp cornflour
• 120ml/4fl oz sparkling water
• 1 small cucumber , peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
• 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and thinly sliced
• ½ medium red onion , halved and thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp chopped coriander
Sweet Chilli dressing
100gr caster sugar
1 knob of sliced ginger 1 red chilli, 1 lemon grass stalk
50ml white wine vinegar
Juice of ½ lime
1tbsp chopped coriander
Make a caramel with sugar in a pan on heat until golden add spices & vinegar allow to sit for ½ hr
Strain through sieve & add lime & coriander
For the cucumber salad and the dressing, mix together all the ingredients for the cucumber salad together. In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing, and to your taste. Chill the salad and dressing.
For the John Dory, marinate the fish in the lime juice with a pinch of salt for 20 minutes.
For the batter, mix the garlic and ginger pastes and all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then slowly pour in the sparkling water, whisking as you do so. Wipe the fish with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture, then add the fish to the batter. Leave for ten minutes.
To fry the fish, heat the groundnut oil in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan, until a breadcrumb sizzles and browns when dropped in it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous - do not leave unattended.) Deep-fry the fillets for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp on both sides. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
To serve, toss the cucumber salad with dressing to taste. Place the fish on top, then pile some of the cucumber salad on the fish.
Bringing you the funny bits from the last week on BBC Radio Scotland.