Jak O'donnell's Healthy Strawberry Sundae
200g /7 oz strawberry, frozen
* 2 heaped tbsp lowfat crème fraiche
* 2 heaped tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt (not set)
* 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
* Freshly squeezed lime or orange juice (1 orange or 2 – 3 limes)
150g / 5½oz raspberries
* 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
1 punnet strawberries, hulled, quartered
* 1 dessertspoonful balsamic vinegar
* 1 dessertspoonful golden caster sugar
Ingredients (to serve)
* Low-fat crème fraiche
* Whole strawberries
Method for the strawberry ice-cream
1. Place the berries, crème fraiche, yoghurt and sugar in a blender whiz until smooth, adding enough orange or lime juice to combine to a thick cream. You might need to stop a couple of times and scrape down the sides
2. Freeze if necessary.
Method for the puree
1. Mix the raspberries and sugar together then push through a sieve
Method for the strawberries
1. Combine everything together and leave for 10 minutes or so, time permitting
1. Alternate scoops of ice-cream with the strawberries in a sundae glass then top with crème fraiche and drizzle over some raspberry puree
2. Finally, garnish each with a whole strawberry
Sinful let’s say “Fettes Mess” Don’t want Eton......
• 10.6 fl oz/ 300 ml whipping cream
• 1 tbsp fine sugar
• 3.5 oz/100g ready-made meringue
• 1 lb/ 450g fresh strawberries
• 1 tbsp confectioners/icing sugar
• Place the whipping cream in a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and whip with an electric mixture until the cream is light and fluffy. Do not over whip - the success of the dish requires softly whipped cream.
• Break the meringue into large bite-size chucks and gently stir into the cream. Don't worry if some of the meringue crumbles just add this too.
• Place half of the strawberries into another large mixing bowl and press gently with the back of a fork to break up the strawberries slightly and release some of the juice. Stir gently into the cream.
• Halve, then quarter the remaining strawberries.
• Place the cream mixture into a 7" trifle or glass serving dish, top with the strawberry pieces, chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator and sprinkle with the confectioners/icing sugar before serving. Alternately serve in individual size dessert bowl or glasses.
Bringing you the funny bits from the last week on BBC Radio Scotland.