1) Why might preceding Inspector Morse’s creator with Adam Krug’s bend introduce you into the life of Osbert Sitwell?
2) By what process could Houdini have transformed himself into a giant insect, and again into a youth looking into a pool?
3) (music question) What connects this music with an all-seeing comic-book character, and the former John Rothwell?
4) (music question) To which London address might these pieces lead us?
5) The first begged to repeat itself; the third was a diurnal contradiction; the fourth offered to dispose of its makers; the fifth was a mayday. Why would the seventh put you in a deadly spin; and what are they all?
Question submitted by listener Paul Slade
6) Mrs Pankhurst’s eldest daughter, Billy’s biographer, and a poet who provided Kingsley with hot drinks, would not be so named without the efforts of three literary greats. Why not – and who are they?
Question submitted by listener Duncan Law
7) What would Kaspar Almayer find to identify with in an architectural indulgence, Sondheim’s ‘Too Many Mornings’, and the Little Ladies?
8) A deity protected by gastropods; a monster who created the Atlas mountains; a cinematic keeper of the Deep. What makes the last of the three the odd one out?
Tom’s teaser question for you to think about this week is:
In whose alphabet were A, B and C followed by F, K, N, R and S – and why did T prove to be the crucial letter?
The answer will be revealed in next week’s broadcast.
Last week’s teaser question was: What connects a forgetful cat, Anna and the King of Siam, and the ‘Galloping Gourmet’?
They all have the name Kerr (although, in the case of two of them, it’s pronounced ‘Carr’). Judith Kerr wrote a series of children’s picture books about Mog, the Forgetful Cat. Deborah Kerr played Anna, governess to the King of Siam’s children, in the Rodgers & Hammerstein film musical The King And I. Graham Kerr was the former hotelier and TV chef known as the Galloping Gourmet.
The home of intelligent and challenging quiz games on BBC Radio 4. Featuring Round Britain Quiz,…