Paul GambacciniPaul Gambaccini chairs Counterpoint
Take Part in CounterpointIf you would like to take part in a future series of Counterpoint, please contact us for an application form. Application forms will be sent out by e-mail or by post towards the end of 2013, for the 2014 series. Don’t forget to include a postal address if you’d prefer to receive a paper copy of the form.
How good is your musical knowledge? Try these typical Counterpoint questions...
1. What’s the commonly-used title or nickname of Beethoven’s 3rd symphony?
2. In early jazz, with which instrument are the performers Buddy Bolden and Bix Beiderbecke most closely associated?
3. Which two English composers were jointly organists at the Chapel Royal during the reign of Elizabeth I, and collaborated on a number of musical works and publications?
4. In which classic film musical does the leading man fall in love with the girl who dubs the singing voice of the leading lady?
5. Which rock star and opera star duetted on the 1987 hit song ‘Barcelona’?
6. Which character in opera sings the tenor aria ‘La donna e mobile’?
7. Using which three-letter prefix are JS Bach’s works catalogued and identified?
8. Which Beatles song begins with the sound effect of a jet aircraft coming in to land?
9. Which singer’s successful albums include Court And Spark and The Hissing Of Summer Lawns?
10. Which composer wrote an overture at the age of 17, based on Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream?
3. Thomas Tallis and William Byrd
4. Singin’ In The Rain
5. Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe
6. The Duke of Mantua – in Rigoletto
7. BWV – ‘Bach-Werke Verzeichnis’
8. Back In The USSR
9. Joni Mitchell
10. Felix Mendelssohn
The home of intelligent and challenging quiz games on BBC Radio 4. With Quiz Masters including Paul...