Archers listeners say a fond farewell to Arnold Peters
Jack died on 2 January 2014
|Fact title||Fact data|
|Played by:||Arnold Peters|
|Born:||19 July 1919|
|Status:||Married to Peggy Woolley|
|Lives at:||The Laurels Nursing Home|
Once a pillar of the Borchester community, Jack succumbed to the cruel condition of dementia. One by one he sold Grey Gables, the Borchester Echo and Jaxx Caff as his illness progressed.
His third and most stable wife Peggy became his carer, guiding his ever more elusive thoughts back to a place where he can feel comfortable. But even she eventually had to accept that Jack needed residential care.
Who are you? I don't know you. Jack Woolley
- Likes - Porridge, a nice cup of tea
- Dislikes - Change of any sort
- Highs - The unveiling of the Jack Woolley pavilion at the cricket ground
- Lows - His continuing slow but inevitable decline
Arnold Peters, who played Jack Woolley, died in May 2013.
Archers editor Vanessa Whitburn said: 'Arnold was immensely successful as Jack Woolley. With enormous skill he took the character from sharp, sometimes ruthless, businessman, mellowing through the years into retirement and eventual dependence on wife Peggy, as Alzheimers set in. Only the best actors can fine tune those character arcs over many years and Arnold was the best.'
June Spencer (who plays Peggy) shared some recollections of this gentle man:
‘Arnold and I worked together many times, long before The Archers started. I have really happy memories of the Children’s Hour pantomimes we were both in together. They were great fun to do. Arnold was very versatile. I remember in one he played the villain and the hero!
‘He did a lot of work producing shows for local amateur dramatic societies. He was a country dance caller, and a drummer in a band. He was very active, all the time, whether it was for charity or professionally.
‘He loved acting. It was his life. I picture him in the latter days in the green room, with his stick and his cap, always very genial.
‘As an actor he was the complete pro. He was very conscientious. He always turned in a good performance, no matter what we were doing.'
June also remembered recording Arnold's last appearance in The Archers.
‘We went to see him in his retirement home. He could still turn in a good performance. He read it perfectly. We worked together just as we’d always done, up to the last.’
List of current characters and actors
- Abbie Tucker
- Adam Macy Played by Andrew Wincott
- Alan Franks Played by John Telfer
- Alice Carter Played by Hollie Chapman
- Alistair Lloyd Played by Michael Lumsden
- Amy Franks Played by Jennifer Daley
- Andrew Eagleton Played by John Flitcroft
- Annabelle Schrivener Played by Julia Hills
- Anthea Jennings Played by Joanna Brookes
- Becky Holden Silent character
- Ben Archer Played by Thomas Lester
- Bert Fry Played by Eric Allan
- Bert Horrobin Played by Martyn Read
- Bethany Tucker
- Brenda Tucker Played by Amy Shindler
- Brian Aldridge Played by Charles Collingwood
- Caroline Sterling Played by Sara Coward
- Celia Redwood Played by Anita Dobson
- Charlie Morgan Played by Ben Caplan
- Christine Barford Played by Lesley Saweard
- Christopher Carter Played by Will Sanderson-Thwaite
- Clarrie Grundy Played by Heather Bell
- Clive Horrobin Played by Alex Jones
- Coriander Snell Played by Alexandra Lilley
- Dan Hebden Lloyd Played by Will Howard
- Darrell Makepeace Played by Dan Hagley
- David Archer Played by Timothy Bentinck
- Debbie Aldridge Played by Tamsin Greig
- Derek Fletcher Silent character
- Donna Horrobin Played by Alison Belbin
- Ed Grundy Played by Barry Farrimond
- Eddie Grundy Played by Trevor Harrison
- Edgar Titcombe Silent character
- Elizabeth Pargetter Played by Alison Dowling
- Ellen Rogers Played by Rosemary Leach
- Elona Makepeace Played by Eri Shuka
- Emma Grundy Played by Emerald O'Hanrahan
- Fallon Rogers Played by Joanna Van Kampen
- Freda Fry Silent character
- Freddie Pargetter Played by Jack Firth
- George Grundy Played by Rui Thacker
- Grace Morgan Played by Jenny Johns
- Graham Ryder Played by Malcolm McKee
- Harrison Burns
- Hayley Tucker Played by Lorraine Coady
- Hazel Woolley Played by Annette Badland
- Heather Pritchard Played by Joyce Gibbs
- Helen Archer Played by Louiza Patikas