Find out more about Shirley's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
Shirley's tough. She lacks social graces, and if a fight kicks off, you want her on your side.
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||5th December 2006|
|Address:||18-20 Albert Square (Kim's Palace)|
Shirley walked out on Kevin, leaving him to rear the kids alone. Motherly love was something that didn't come naturally. But that doesn't mean she didn't care about her kids. It hurt her deeply when Deano and Carly rejected her and moved away.
What you looking at?Shirley Carter
- Likes: Drinking alcohol, socialising and Indian food
- Dislikes: Dog racing and reading books
- Music tastes: 80's
- Weaknesses: Has bad cooking skills
- Children: Jimbo (son; deceased), Deano (son) and Carly (daughter)
Luckily, Shirley had her best mate, Hev, and baby George to keep her afloat. Hev and Shirl were a Walford staple, and their rendition of Mel & Kim's Respectable at Hev's Hen Night has gone down in the Square's history. Unfortunately, Hev is history too. And Shirley is struggling without her best mate.
We'd say it's lucky that she had the support of her surrogate family, the Mitchells, if they didn't all have Heather's blood on their hands (directly and indirectly)...
When Shirley found out about the Mitchells' betrayal, she was devasted... and Phil asking her to help cover up Ben's dirty secret pushed her that bit too far. She left Phil and drank herself to a stupor, literally in the gutter.
A visit from estranged daughter Carly and her new grandson pulled Shirley back from the brink, and offered her a chance to escape The Square temporarily... But now she's back. And after finding out that Phil has been secretly paying her rent because the council cut her benefits, Shirley is furious. She sees it as blood money, but soon turns to blackmailing him for money all the same.
Phil's money appeared to be just too tempting for Shirley again as she takes the opportunity to steal it whilst Phil is in hospital following a car crash. But Shirley soon softens when seeing Phil in the hospital and vows to help before jetting off to Greece.
Shirley wasted no time in sussing out cunning Carl, his dodgy motors and how he framed Max. Despite the meter running on her taxi to Greece, Shirley waits for Carl in the Arches where he tells her he is going to show her how he deals with his problems...
And that was the last we saw of Shirley! Did Carl kill her? Did he kidnap her? Fourtunately, it was nothing quite so sinister! It transpired that Carl had threatened Lola and Lexi, and Shirley scarpered to stay with her sister Tina to ensure that no harm would come to them. When Phil found out that Shirley had left to protect his family, he assured Shirley that it was no safe to come back to Walford, as he's on side now!
- Before playing Shirley, Linda appeared in EastEnders as Mandy's mum Lorraine Salter, later played by Victoria Alcock.
- Linda's best known for playing inmate Yvonne Atkins in Bad Girls. She also played a different Shirley in Brit gangster flick, The Business.
- She's also appeared in Prime Suspect, A Touch of Frost and Cracker.
- Linda is an animal lover. She has three rescue dogs and enjoys riding horses.
- Kellie Shirley (Carly) says of Linda: "Working with her has been really good. She's so on the ball and really interesting. I'm in awe!"
- Carl White Played by Daniel Coonan
- Danny Pennant Played by Gary Lucy
- David Wicks Played by Michael French
- Dennis Rickman Jnr Play by Harry Hickles
- Fatboy Played by Ricky Norwood
- Jake Stone Played by Jamie Lomas
- Jay Brown Played by Jamie Borthwick
- Patrick Trueman Played by Rudolph Walker
- Poppy Meadow Played by Rachel Bright
- Sadie Young Played by Kate Magowan
- Sharon Rickman Played by Letitia Dean
- Shirley Carter Played by Linda Henry
- Terry Spraggan Played by Terry Alderton
- Tina Carter Played by Luisa Bradshaw-White