Find out more about Liam's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
The eldest child of Ricky Butcher and Bianca Jackson, Liam learned to block out the sound of… erm… heated debate from an early age. Though faced with his fair share of upheaval, Liam is a kind and loving sole; one of the better-behaved of Bianca's brood!
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||25th December 1998|
|Address:||Outside The Square|
|Occupation||Year 9 student|
Liam settled in Walford in 2008 with his mum and siblings. Prior to that he’d been uprooted more times than Bianca’s screamed "Rickaay!"
We'll be alright, mumLiam Butcher
- Medical issues: Dyslexia
- Football team: Supports West Ham
- Favourite food: Junk food, cheese triangles, boiled eggs, cottage pie and soldiers and chewy toast
- Dislikes: Fruit cake and school
- Usual attire: Wears his baseball cap sideways
Liam’s Dyslexia meant that he struggled in school, but he was a grafter and worked hard to get the best grades he could – until now...
Though he used to get up to his fair share of mischief, Liam always tried to do right by his family, even if it wasn't necessarily doing right by himself. When Bianca was imprisoned for breaking her probation, Liam left Walford to be with his dad.
Most of all, Liam wanted a simple stress-free life, two happy parents and enough money to get by. Unfortunately, that's not how the Butchers work... When Bianca broke her parole and ended up in prison again, Liam went to live with Carol, Morgan and Tiffany to be close to Bianca.
When Bianca returned, for a while they all played happy families. But now, something’s not right. Liam started missing school and picking arguments with his mum... then Bianca discovered that he played a part in the mugging of Tamwar and that he was getting involved with a gang. This discovery broke Bianca's heart, and she was determined to stop her son from going down the same bad path as she did, even locking him in his room to ensure he didn't meet with his dodgy new friends.
While he got away, it slowly dawned on Liam that he didnt want to live the gang life; all night parties might be fun, but the fear and intimadation that come with them isn't ! A worried Bianca finally told the police about the gang, and while Liam remained loyal and refused to name names, his actions were reciprocated by a horrible act of violence. Liam returned home, but despite help from the police, he couldnt manage to shake the gang; receiving death threats daily and even getting a brick thrown through his window!
Ringleader Kane tried to convince Liam to retract his complaint and return to the gang, but Liam knew that life wasn't for him... Kane wasn't happy with this and when words didnt work, tried to resort to violence to drive his point home. What can only be descibed as a mom's sixth sense alerted Bianca to the fact that something was wrong at home, and her swift intervention saved Liam another injury at the gangs hands. Now Bianca and Liam have realised it's no longer safe on Albert Square, and Liam has fled to stay with Ricky.
- Playing Liam Butcher is James's first professional acting job. His roles at school have included playing the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz!
- James loves music, especially hip hop. His favourite artists are Dizzee Rascal and Eminem.
- His eyes look hazel from afar, but he actually has one brown eye and one green eye.
- James loves sport, and is a keen golfer. He supports Chelsea Football Club.
- He once did a zip slide across Stamford Bridge to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
- James is the sixth actor to play Liam. His predecessors were Nathaniel Gleed and twins Jack and Tom Godolphin and Mitchell and Gavin Vaughan.