Find out more about Jean's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
Possessed of Walford's most impressive cardigan collection, and inventor of such noted culinary creations as Sausage Surprise! (make sure you read that in falsetto) and Jean's Fishy Basket, Jean Slater is a true Walford icon.
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||16th December 2004|
|Address:||46 Albert Square (The Queen Vic)|
|Occupation:||The Queen Vic book-keeper/Events Manager|
She's had her fair share of setbacks - her ongoing battle with bipolar disorder, her difficult relationship with son Sean and, of course, adjusting to life without Stacey and granddaughter Lily. But don't be fooled into thinking that Jean's a pushover. She can be tough - she's had to be to get where she is today.
Why don't you visit me more often?Jean Slater
- Likes: Flowers
- Dislikes: Confined spaces (she has claustrophobia), quizzes and big pants
- Weaknesses: Can't swim
- Hobbies: Knitting and cooking
- Food: Doesn't like touching kidney meat
In fact, Jean has stood up to her fair share of bullies on the Square and has a hard side - it's part of the Slater genetic inheritance.
However, in the main, Jean's kind-hearted - a romantic and an optimist. Though her efforts to find love have been cruelly thwarted time and time again, Jean reckons that men are like cardigans - you have to try a lot on before you find the right one.
Although that's where the allusion ends. Unless, she plans to have a wardrobe full of men, taking some down the charity shop every now and then to make room for more...
- Gillian gained a BA in Theatre, English and Dance at Bretton Hall, West Yorkshire.
- Gillian is a co-founder of Pilot Theatre, currently in residence at York's Theatre Royal.
- An established theatre actress, Gillian is also a visiting director and workshop leader at drama schools, universities and with young people with special needs.
- She has choreographed horses at Warwick Castle, bankers for the Lord Mayor's Parade, barges on the River Thames and wheelchairs in Tonbridge!
- A passionate cook and gardener, Gillian also enjoys watching arthouse, indie and foreign films, and is interested in arts and crafts.
- Her dislikes include phone menu systems, bananas, snakes, plug-in air fresheners and "diversion signs that just stop"!
- Her TV credits feature many top drama shows, including Coronation Street, The Bill, Silent Witness, Holby City, Dalziel and Pascoe and Heartbeat.
- Jill Halfpenny played her daughter in comedy Jumping the Waves, which opened the award-winning Arc Theatre.
- She appeared in the 2003 film Calendar Girls as Eddie's (George Costigan) girlfriend.
- She's no stranger to kids' TV, having featured in award-winning Sir Gadabout, the Worst Knight in the Land.