Find out more about Janine's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
Lock up your sons and your fathers for that matter! This little madam will manipulate, marry and murder to get her own way!
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||22nd June 1989|
|Address:||27 Albert Square|
This brutal minx's motto is that money can buy happiness. She will manipulate, marry and murder once she’s had a sniff of the Queen’s head. She inherited a fortune after the death of her catty grandmother Lydia. But whether that money will lead to fulfilment is yet to be seen.
What's in it for me?Janine Butcher
- Distinguishing features: Has a birthmark on her upper right arm the size of a ten pence coin
- Likes: Playing dares and money
- Dislikes: Menial jobs, kids in general and raisins in teacakes
- Usual drinks: G&T, V&T and wine
- Hobbies: Making money and singing to herself when she is in a good mood
Janine's a great actress who enjoys seducing people, but the clever diva doesn't always get the end results she desires, which has even led to her imprisonment.
Underneath the hard exterior she's really a little girl lost, who wants to love and be loved more than anything - just don't expect her to admit it! For a while it looked like she had found contentment with husband and father of her little girl Scarlet, Michael Moon, but the stress of parenthood made Janine increasingly paranoid about Michael's true intentions. This lead to Janine fleeing The Square, leaving Michael holding the baby.
On her return she took taken Scarlett from Michael and banned him from seeing her! Michael managed to manipulate his No.1 fan Alice into sneaking in daddy/daughter meetings... but the stress of this cloak and dagger behaviour became too much for Alice who blurted out the truth to Janine. Realising that she had been well and truly had, a furious Janine fled The Square again, promising Michael that he will never be part of his daughters life.
- Charlie was born in Barmouth, Wales.
- Charlie was cast as Jenny in BBC drama Bleak House.
- Before becoming the third actress to play Janine Butcher, Charlie Brooks appeared in Jonathan Creek, The Demon Headmaster, The Bill, and London's Burning.
- Charlie's also done various commercials and voiceovers for the UK, Europe and the USA.
- She's won numerous awards for playing Janine: Two National Television Awards, four British Soap Awards, four Inside Soap Awards, two TV Quick and Choice Awards and one All About Soap Award.