Find out more about Ian's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
With his portfolio of business concerns, Ian should be a Beale-ionaire by now. From his first venture, knitting company Loftelian, he's come a long way…
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||19th February 1985|
|Address:||45 Albert Square|
|Occupation:||Works on the fruit and veg stall and assistant at Beale’s Plaice and Cindy’s Café.|
Ian's been everything from a loan shark to a property tycoon. Thankfully the fish and chip shop, fruit and veg stall and cafe are seeing him through the recession... even if he did have to sign them over to daughter Lucy!
I've got to clinch this deal by 5pm.Ian Beale
- Nickname: Squealy Beale
- Godchild: Tommy Moon
- Distinguishing features: A cheeky tattoo just above his bum
- Interests and Hobbies: Cycling and making money
- Music: Ian was in a band called The Banned! with his friends in the 1980s
Other women who've loved and left Ian include first wife, suicide blonde Cindy, mother of Lucy and Peter. Cindy cheated on Ian repeatedly, then tried to have him killed.
Wife number two, Melanie Healy, dumped him moments after marrying him.
Wife number three, Laura, with whom he had son Bobby, endured Ian's dangerous liaisons with local prostitute Janine Butcher and died in a dubious accident after a fight with Janine.
Then Jane, lovely Jane, who he mistreated time and time again.
And finally, Mandy, who Ian obsessed about getting to the altar and escaping Walford with, when he discovered that his brother Ben had killed Heather. Their split saw Ian fall into a deep, downward spiral, culminating in him wandering barefoot down a motorway and sleeping on the streets. Ian returned to The Square a different man, but is now on the road to recovery after a rare show of community spirit from his fellow Walford residents. Back to work and almost back to his normal self, Ian's even bagged himself a girfriend in the lovely Denise. Ian is determined to re-gain and expand his empire once again, and has decided to open a new restaurant on The Square, giving the Walford residents a classier dining experience... but they all seem perfectly happy with the cafe and McKlunky's to us!
- In 1993, Adam appeared as Ian Beale in a Children In Need one-off Doctor Who Special set in Albert Square.
- Adam is a keen cyclist and photographer.
- Adam's one of the few EastEnders cast members to actually come from the East End of London.
- Apart from acting, Adam's interests include cricket, fishing, football and golf.
- Before landing the part of Ian Beale, Adam appeared in the 1983 children's drama The Baker Street Boys.
- Adam's pantomime and theatre credits include Aladdin, Mother Goose, Cinderella and Oliver. He regularly guests on TV game and panel shows. His appearances include Celebrity Ready Steady Cook, The Weakest Link and A Question of TV.
- Adam's also turned his hand to presenting programmes such as Value For Money, Dreamhouse and National Lottery Live.
- Adam has played Ian Beale since the first ever episode of EastEnders aired on 19th February 1985. This makes Ian the longest serving and only remaining original character to have appeared continuously since the show began!
- Ian Beale character trail Duration: 00:53
- EastEnders - Live - Adam Woodyatt Interview Duration: 02:21 Live
- EastEnders - Who's Stalking Phil - Under Suspicion - Ian Duration: 00:51 31/01/2011
- EastEnders 25 - The Greatest Cliffhangers no:2 Duration: 01:08 EastEnders: The Greatest Cliffhangers, Episode 3